Email Marketing Best Practices in 2022
When you’re making any marketing efforts with limited resources and don’t want your budget or time to go to waste, email is the best way to ensure a high return on investment. Email marketers get an approximate $42 ROI on every $1 spent on email marketing.
That’s why 87% of marketers use email marketing for content dissemination. But for your email marketing campaign to be successful, you need to make sure you’re running it properly. Below, we discuss some email marketing best practices for 2022 that you can use for your business.
Email Marketing and Its Purpose
In its simplest form, email marketing is a type of marketing that involves making customers in your email list aware of discounts, new services, and products. You can also use it to educate your customer base about your offerings, build a brand-based community, or drive sales.
The purpose of your email marketing strategy depends on the type of emails you’re sending. For instance, promotional emails are excellent at telling prospects and existing customers about new product releases. These emails have a clear call to action.
Meanwhile, informational emails are perfect for sharing news about your business, such as telling your customers about a new update to your service or novel product capabilities. You can also share case studies about your product.
Best Practices For All Email Marketing Campaigns
To make your email marketing campaigns successful, it’s important to pay attention to the following details.
Personalization refers to tailoring your emails according to the subscribers’ needs, preferences, and unique requirements. Instead of using a one-size-fits-all email marketing strategy, you should personalize your emails so that more people can relate to them.
Here are some things you can personalize:
- Copy: If you’re using the same copy for every email, it’s likely that it doesn’t have a similar effect on every recipient. If your emails have personalized subject lines, they are 26% more likely to be opened by the subscriber.
- Offers: The key to improving your email click-through rate is to make personalized offers to your customers. Savvy marketers make individual customer profiles and curate relevant offers to increase relatability.
- Product Recommendation: You can use an email marketing service to track your customers’ browsing and purchase history. Then, this data can be used to make personalized recommendations to customers.
Include Engaging Calls to Action Buttons
The call to action (CTA) in an email is the hyperlinked line of text or button that directs the receiver to your landing page or any web page of your choice. CTAs help drive your prospects or customers to action.
The rule of thumb in this regard is to have an engaging CTA button that’s large enough to be easily visible but not so big that it comes off as obnoxious. The design, text, and placement of the CTA should entice the reader to click the button.
Consistently Monitor Email Performance
When you monitor the performance of your email marketing strategy consistently, you can identify any shortcomings and tweak your campaign accordingly. The optimal way to monitor your email marketing campaigns is to use metrics like:
- Delivery Rate: Delivery rate indicates how many of your emails are being delivered. If you have a low delivery rate, you need to build a healthy subscription list before launching your email marketing campaign.
- Open Rate: The open rate indicates how many subscribers open your emails. Emails with attractive subject lines are likely to have high open rates since that’s the only thing your subscribers see in their inboxes before deciding whether or not to open the email. You can try different variations to see which one works for your business. For instance, a Yesware study showed that subject lines with numbers in them have a 45% higher open rate.
- Click-Through Rate: The click-through rate indicates the number of people that take action through your email by clicking the CTA.
Include Dynamic Content
Dynamic content refers to a component contained within the email differs based on user signals, such as consumer data, characteristics, and in-session behavior. If you adapt the email content based on the pages the user has visited or the products they have added to their cart, you’re likely to get a better response.
Set Up Email Automation
Email automation has a number of benefits for businesses since it doesn’t require frequent manual intervention. Plus, you can segment your audience and send them relevant emails based on their interests.
Email automation also helps personalize the content for prospects and increase brand awareness. Research shows that the best email types to be automated are cart recovery, welcome, and customer reactivation emails.
Set Up The Desired Email Frequency
An important part of creating email marketing campaigns is to determine the frequency of emails you’ll send. The trick is to not go overboard while making sure the prospect or customer doesn’t forget about you.
A good approach is to send emails four to eight times a month. But if you’re an ecommerce company with a large subscriber list, you may want to send more frequent emails.
Segment Your Subscriber List
Customer segmentation allows you to understand your target audience better by categorizing them on the basis of factors like demographics, purchasing history, order size, etc. In this way, you can group customers with similar characteristics in one segment and send them personalized emails.
A Harvard Business School case study showed that segmentation helps reduce the cost of customer acquisition. Apart from this, it also helps increase retention rates and drive sales.
Additional Email Marketing Tips to Aid Your Email Marketing Strategy
Here are some email marketing tips to get started:
- Design is an essential aspect of your emails. Make sure your emails read well and look awesome.
- Include links to your social media pages in your emails.
- Use a person’s name in the sender’s field rather than the company name to give your emails a human touch.
- Conduct A/B testing for subject lines.
- Keep your subject lines short and to the point. Use no more than 60 characters or nine words.
How to Get Started With Email Marketing in 2022
Now that you know about these email marketing best practices, you’re all set to curate effective email marketing campaigns. Choose a service provider, such as GrowthHit, that runs growth experiments for your business while taking care of email automation to ensure your repeatable and data-driven business expansion.
Then, gather contacts for your email list, create some email templates, and test different email copy and subject lines to get started. Keep in mind that you should monitor the performance of your email marketing strategy periodically to measure your success and make any necessary adjustments.
The #1 Newsletter for Growth Marketers & CEOs
The best kept secrets in growth. Every Thursday you’ll get:
- 3 must-read articles
- 1 podcast episode
- Sneak peek at our startup studio